Blog Post #2

I've pivoted to my second research topic about how crafting communities have adapted to digitalization. To be honest, this topic has been a lot harder to research. There aren't a lot of TPC sources about this, and I had to try a few different search word combinations to get anything to come up. For example, using the word "craft" or "crafting" doesn't guarantee that it's talking about "arts and crafts" because it could also mean writing as a craft. There has been a shift because of the maker movement, so I did try using keywords from that as well. To try to mitigate the lack of TPC resources, I tried to supplement with other resources that seemed more relevant.

Tentative sources for Literature Review assignment:

Crafting 

TPC Sources
Non-TPC Sources
  • Fabricating Activism: Craft-Work, Popular Culture, Gender by Jack Z. Bratich https://www-jstor-org.libproxy.utahtech.edu/stable/10.5325/utopianstudies.22.2.0233
  • Creative Craft-Based Textile Activity in the Age of Digital Systems and Practices by Gail Kenning https://www-jstor-org.libproxy.utahtech.edu/stable/43834289
  • Creating Digital Materiality: Third-Wave Feminism, Public Art, and Yarn Bombing by Alla Myzelev https://www-jstor-org.libproxy.utahtech.edu/stable/24396693 

Misinformation

  • Deceptive by Design: The Visual Rhetorical Mechanism of Dark Patterns by Eric York 
  • Synthetic Genres: Expert Genres, Non-Specialist Audiences, and Misinformation in the Artificial Intelligence Age by Brad Mehlenbacher, Ana Patricia Balbon, and Ashley Rose Mehlenbacher 
  • Protecting Pandemic Conversations: Tracing Twitter's Evolving Content Policies During COVID-19 by Lacy Hope

Comments

  1. As I was listening in class today, I actually thought of some ways that I can expand some of this research. When I did the initial assignment, I had a hard time finding the right keywords to use when searching, and I think that led to me finding some sources that aren't quite right for this research project. But some new keywords came to my mind in class. Here's what I came up with: DIY, makers, online communities, multimodal instructions, social media groups. I would like to try combining some of this to see if I find more sources that may exist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was kind of answering question 2: What topics and/or variables might emerge from the current bibliography? Note, if categories/headings exist, how might they help to enable or constrain the topic?

      Delete
  2. Hi Aleesha!

    While on the hunt for some TWDR sources for my own topic, I stumbled across an article I thought you might find useful! Totally fine if not, here's the link if you're interested: https://research-ebsco-com.libproxy.utahtech.edu/plink/726d5ffc-d539-30f7-86a5-27a06981f24a and the citation

    Rohan, L. (2001). Women’s Technologies, Women’s Literacies: Sewing and Computing across the Years. Journal of Technical Writing & Communication, 31(2), 117. https://doi-org.libproxy.utahtech.edu/10.2190/YVAM-YA46-QN90-TDKA

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #1 Topic Interests

Blog Post #3 Research Gaps